25 Income-Exploding Digital Nomad Jobs in 2022
Thinking of how to land one of the many digital nomad jobs in exchange for seeing the world may seem daunting, but work-from-anywhere positions are closer to your fingertips than you believe.
After COVID-19, working a job while simultaneously traveling progressed in popularity. In fact, according to a Feb. 2022 article published by Pew Research, 23% of Americans worked remotely before the pandemic. Fast-forward to today, and approximately 60% of American workers work in the comfort of their homes.
I often am asked how I secured several different digital nomad jobs to fund my current lifestyle. After navigating various freelance platforms for several years now, the podium I have found the most success with is Upwork, where I have earned the title of a top-rated freelancer on the site. With this proven success, I determined it was time to share my knowledge with others.
I have divvied up a list of digital nomad jobs to help guide those interested in living a similar nomadic lifestyle. Additionally, I will connect you to resources that can help make the job search simple so that you can hit the road before you even know it.
Now let’s get into it.
*Disclosure: I only recommend travel products, services, and experiences I would use/experience myself and all opinions expressed here are our own. This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission.
What is a digital nomad?
A digital nomad is an individual who works remotely from anywhere while traveling part-time or full-time. Many work from the comfort of spaces like an Airbnb, hotel, library, co-working space, and/or coffee shops.
What websites are most valuable to find digital nomad jobs?
What is a freelancer?
A “freelancer” is often referring to a person who is self-employed and not usually committed to a single long-term employer.
25 Income-Exploding Digital Nomad Jobs in 2022
National Average Salary: $50,132
Popular Items to Resell:
- Vinyl Records
- CDs, Video Games, VHS tapes,
If you’re nervous to invest money upfront in purchasing items to sell, just start with your own personal closet! Not only will you make money in doing so, but you’ll be helping the environment.
Reasons Thrifting Helps The Earth:
- Keeps Clothing Out of Landfills – According to the Environmental Protection Agency, 84% of clothing textiles end up in landfills and incinerators.
- Lowers Water Consumption – There are 2,700 gallons of water used in the production of just one. Single. Cotton. T-Shirt. Not to mention, cotton makes up 40% of all clothing materials used in the world. This means that a huge portion of the world’s clean water, which amounts to less than 1% of the world’s total water supply, is being concentrated by the fashion industry. Let that sink in.
- Reduces Carbon Pollution – When you provide shoppers with a secondhand shopping experience, you’re helping to prevent a giant waste of energy and resources toward the production of new clothing.
- Thrift Shop Purchases Often Support Local Charities – When you head to thrift stores to find inventory to sell, you’re likely supporting stores that fund local charities that help the community.
How Can You Be a Reseller While on the Road?
While traveling by car, I usually don’t bring my entire resale closet and only what I know sells the best for my store, like women’s jean shorts and pants, beauty products, and shoes.
To give you an idea of income potential, my biggest profit so far was when I found a pair of unworn Sorel boots at a Goodwill Outlet store.
I purchased them for $8 and sold them for $150. Many gals in my Facebook Poshmark group said I should have listed them even higher.
To become a reseller, you will need printer access for shipping labels when a sale is made.
Additionally, you will need to have the ability to ship your sold items through USPS for Poshmark. Mercari and eBay have more shipping options like UPS and FedEx.
One recent investment that makes the entire shipping process easier while on the road is purchasing a thermal printer.
A thermal printer is a compact printer and I don’t have to worry about running out of ink while on the road.
One brand that is popular among the Poshmark community is the Rollo wireless thermal printer.
- LED Ring Light
- Tropical Leaves Polymailers
- Flowering Cactus Polymailers
- Drawstring Bags (for shoe, jean, jacket, or sweater sales)
- Clear Ziplock Bags (for all other clothing items)
- Inventory Label Stickers
- Photography backdrop
- Backdrop kit
I’ll admit, just like any other business, you will experience plenty of trial and error. But success is possible if you work hard and you keep at it.
When signing up for Poshmark, use my affiliate code VALLEYGLOWGIRL to receive a $10 shopping credit.
To receive $30 off through Mercari, use my affiliate link by clicking here.
National Average Salary: $41,217
Job Description: If you have a passion for photography and are considering digital nomad jobs then why not capture the beauty of the seven seas and get paid a decent wage for it?
To convert your dream into reality, take photos of the destinations you travel to. Post them to your social media accounts to showcase your skills.
Travel photographers also get paid by teaching photography online, writing or blogging about photography, or selling their photos online on stock image or news websites.
One thing to consider for your photography startup is the upfront investment you’ll have to make on your photography equipment.
- Camera – Nikon Z6 Mirrorless Camera
- Lenses – Nikon NIKKOR Z 24-70 mm f/2.8 Lens
- Tripod – Benro GoPlus Travel FGP18A, Peak Design Travel Tripod
- Laptop – 16″ MacBook Pro, Dell XPS 15
- Editing Software – Adobe Photoshop
- Camera Bag – Mosiso Camera Bag
Best Websites to Find Photography Digital Nomad Jobs: Fiverr, Upwork, Getty Images, Shutterstock, Airbnb
National Average Salary: $50,407
Job Description: Digital nomads can earn some serious dough on the go if choosing a career path in writing. If you have excellent writing, grammar, and research skills, then this may be a good digital nomad option.
- News Reporter- A writer who informs the public of current events.
- Content Writer- Writer who plans and writes web content in the form of blog posts, articles, podcast and movie scripts, social media posts, etc., to inform and educate readers.
- Copywriter- Writer of copies to help brands improve their image and marketing with the main goal of selling readers on your brand.
- Grant Writer- Individual who researches, creates, and writes grant proposals to secure grant funding for entities like non-profits.
- Novelist- Author of books.
- Columnist- Writer of opinion pieces for newspapers and/or magazines.
Before you dive into a career in writing, make sure you can handle rejection.
I would say out of every 10 clients I submit job proposals to, 9 of them would take a pass on me.
But all it took was that one long-term client that took a chance on me which helped bring my digital nomad dreams to fruition.
If you’ve decided writing is a career path for you out of the many wonderful digital nomad jobs available, consider taking a writing course, creating a writing portfolio to show potential clients your work, and start pitching article ideas to publications and businesses.
4) Graphic Designer
National Average Salary: $48,485
Job Description: According to Findstack.com, people retain up to 65% of visual content for up to three days after viewing it versus only retaining 10% of written content.
This fun fact gives means the likelihood of tighter job security as a graphic designer is high.
You don’t necessarily need to be an artist to become successful in this biz. A good eye for color and detail could be all that’s required for you to pursue a successful profession in this field.
Consider honing in on a niche to help you stand out.
Graphic Designer Specialties:
- Corporate Materials
Products Graphic Designers Create and Sell:
- Online Templates
- Digital Printables
- Social Media Content
The best place for beginners to start creating products is an app like Canva.
5) Personal Assistant
National Average Salary: $35,655
Job Description: As a remote personal assistant, you perform administrative and clerical tasks for individuals like business owners or working professionals.
A personal assistant’s daily tasks are likely to include answering phone calls and emails, scheduling appointments and making travel arrangements.
Organization, attention to detail, and good communication are a few skillsets required of personal assistants.
One piece of advice when becoming a virtual assistant is to niche down and consider specializing and marketing yourself in a specific.
Virtual Assistant Specialties:
- Email Marketing
- Customer Support
- Managing Social Media
- Website Design
Best Websites to Find Personal Assistant Digital Nomad Jobs: Fiverr, Upwork, FancyHands, VA Networking, oDesk
6) ESL Teacher
National Average Salary: $38,046
Job Description: Teaching ESL may be a great option for someone who scouts job security.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of adult basic and secondary education and ESL teachers is projected to decline at a rate of 5% between 2020 and 2030.
Despite the decline, about 5,100 openings for adult basic and secondary education and ESL teachers are projected each year for the decade.
Product, Background Criteria Recommendations:
- Laptop Computer – 16′ MacBook Pro, Acer Aspire 5
- Zoom or Skype Account
- TESOL/TEFL Certificate
- Bachelor’s Degree Recommended
Best Websites to Find English Teacher Digital Nomad Jobs: Teach Away, Go Abroad, VIPKid, italki, Verbling
7) Customer Service Representative
National Average Salary: $32,240
Job Description: According to Gartner, 76% of customer service and support businesses have 80-100% of staff working remotely.
These numbers are likely reassuring for someone interested in this line of work when weighing digital nomad job options.
Customer service representatives interact with customers via phone or chat to address complaints, answer questions, and provide information on services.
Companies That Frequently Offer Remote Positions:
Best Websites to Find Customer Service Digital Nomad Jobs: Fiverr, Upwork, FlexJobs, Virtual Vocations, LinkedIn
8) Lyft Driver
National Average Salary: $40,647
Job Description: Lyft rolled out the “fully flexible workplace” for its employees on March 9, 2022, but contractors for the company have already been taking the “work from anywhere” flexibility to a whole new level.
The rideshare giant “allows you to drive in multiple cities and states,” according to Lyft. “You can only have one driving region on your profile but can travel outside of that region and complete rides.”
I investigated Lyft’s competitor, Uber, and at this time they are unable to support temporary location changes. Another one of the many reasons I prefer Lyft to get from point A to point B when I’m unable to drive.
Best Websites to Find Rideshare Digital Nomad Job: Lyft
National Average Salary: $34,963
Job Description: A transcriptionist is an individual who listens to live events, audio, or video recordings and converts what is heard into a written document.
I did this type of work for a few months in 2018 for a popular transcription company that I won’t name due to the story I’m about to share and it’s likely I signed a non-disclosure agreement when starting the role.
I often completed transcriptions of prison phone calls for the company. I recall for a few weeks I kept getting assigned calls with the same prisoner’s voice on close to 100 calls I worked on.
I didn’t know at the time who the prisoner was and to be honest, it was none of my business. His phone calls were always super personal and I recall feeling sad imagining what it must be like when someone you love is incarcerated.
These calls stuck out to me and I couldn’t pinpoint why they were pulling at my heartstrings so much compared to other similar calls from other prisoners.
Fast forward to six months or so later and Netflix drops the documentary of former football player Aaron Hernandez called “Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez”.
If you aren’t familiar with the name, Aaron Hernandez went from an NFL tight end superstar for the New England Patriots to a convicted killer. He was found guilty of killing Semi-Pro Football Player Odin Lloyd. Odin happened to be dating Hernandez’s girlfriend’s sister.
Hernandez was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. The documentary takes you through the life and death by suicide of Hernandez.
As I’m watching the series, the documentary starts to highlight some phone calls while he was in prison with captions on the screen. As I sat there watching I was thinking, why do these calls sound so familiar? Then the lightbulb went off.
I WAS THE ONE WHO TRANSCRIBED THESE CALLS FOR THE PRISON THAT MADE IT IN THIS DOCUMENTARY AND IT WAS AARON HERNANDEZ AND I HAD NO IDEA THAT IT WAS HIS HIGH-PROFILE PHONE CALLS I WAS TRANSCRIBING!!!!
Some pretty awesome situations fall into your lap through transcription work, and it’s a great digital nomad job for beginners.
Formal training isn’t required. Typing skills are a must and those who know multiple languages have the upper hand over competing applicants.
- Laptop computer – 16′ MacBook Pro, Acer Aspire 5
- Noise-canceling headphones – Shure sound isolating headphones
- Software – Microsoft Word (although most companies I have worked with provide their company software you just need to download on your computer).
Best Websites to Find Transcription Digital Nomad Jobs: Rev, TranscribeMe, Tigerfish, GoTranscript
National Average Salary: $61,766
Job Description: Editors correct spelling, grammar, punctuation errors, fact check, and offer suggestions to the original writer about how to re-write the piece.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment opportunities for editor positions are expected to grow 5% from 2020 to 2030.
Editors recognize patterns, can organize a writer’s ideas and have the ability to question the factoids or theories they read in a written piece.
There isn’t a formal education requirement to become an editor but holding a degree in English or journalism is always a plus.
- Books – Editing books can be extremely lucrative. Editors of this niche evaluate manuscripts for authors before they submit their manuscripts to a publishing company or self-publishing. Additionally, book editors can work for all sizes of companies, including large publishing companies like Simon and Schuster and Penguin Random House.
- Newspapers – Working as an editor for newspapers requires working closely with journalists and writers. Being familiar with or being willing to learn a style of writing called the Associated Press style is a must.
- Magazines – Magazine editor duties may include a variety of tasks like assigning or approving story ideas to/from writers, editing drafts, fact-checking, designing, etc.
- Online Media/Content – According to Pew Research, 97% of Americans now own a mobile device of some sort, with 86% of U.S. adults who say they rely on their smartphone to receive news. And it doesn’t just stop with the news, as the average amount of time smartphone users spend on their phone is 3 hours 35 minutes. Experts expect that as years go by, more and more people will use their phones as their preferred resource for receiving information/entertainment purposes. This makes online media/content editing a great option!
Web editors create ideas to bring readers to websites and channels.
Moreover, they assign articles and written content to writers, oversee deadlines, edit article/content drafts, etc.
Best Websites to Find Editor Digital Nomad Jobs: Fiverr, Upwork, Publishers Marketplace, We Work Remotely
National Average Salary: $43,802
Job Duties: Whether you’re interested in finding a creative outlet or you have a specific area of expertise you can go on and on about, you should consider podcasting for your digital nomad job.
The term “Podcast” was created in 2004 as a hybrid of the words “iPod” and “broadcast.”
According to Research Gate, “the Oxford Dictionary chose ‘podcast’ as Word of the Year for 2005 and defined it as ‘a digital recording of a radio broadcast or similar program, made available on the internet for downloading to a personal audio player.'”
Fast forward to today, and there are many digital nomads who podcast about their travels and for good reason.
Andy Steves is one podcast host who talks about his adventures on his show called “Andy Steves Travel Podcast“. He interviews other like-minded gypsies that share their own stories of adventure.
- 41% of Americans listen to podcasts on a monthly basis
- Monthly podcast listeners have increased 61.5% in a three year span
- More Americans listen to podcasts weekly than have Netflix Accounts
How Podcasters Make Money:
- Affiliate Marketing
- Selling Products or Services
- Number of Listeners
- Laptop – 16′ MacBook Pro, Acer Aspire 5
- Microphone – Audio-Technica AT2020 USB, Rode NT USB, Amazon basics microphone
- Headphones – Shure sound isolating headphones, Beets Headphones
- Recording, Editing Software – GarageBand, Logic Pro, Audacity
- Podcast Hosting – Buzzsprout, SoundCloud, Spreaker, PodBean
- Call Recording Software – TapeACall: Call Recorder
National Average Salary: $49,067
Job Description: This goes without saying, but blogging is another digital nomad job I am familiar with. I’m not going to beat around the bush when it comes to this digital nomad profession.
BEING A BLOGGER IS NOT A GET-RICH-QUICK CAREER!!
It takes blood, sweat, and maybe some tears to truly become a successful blogger. I started my blog a year before I began my journey as a digital nomad because I knew how long it can take to start earning money.
Blogger Monique Solomon once asked 10 other bloggers how long it took them to see an income. The average answer was six months of working 40 hours a week or more until they saw a financial return, and this was coming from successful blog owners!
- 80% of blogs fail.
- About 70 million posts are being published each month by WordPress users.
- Approximately 409 million internet users read close to 20 billion blog pages monthly. This makes blogging a tool many companies leverage as a marketing tactic, but it also means the market is competitive.
Tips to Build a Successful Blog:
- Focus on driving traffic to your blog through Pinterest, strong SEO, and at least one social media channel like Instagram, TikTok, or Facebook.
- The readability and design of your blog are SUPER important. I suggest using self-hosting for your blog so that you can easily customize your website how you want. Bluehost is one great option for this that many successful bloggers swear by.
- Focus on the reader and not yourself. Bloggers build a loyal base by providing quality information that benefits and helps their readers in some way.
- Monetize your blog. Some ways that I make money blogging is with Google AdSense, affiliate marketing (Payhip, Canva, Bluehost, Awin, and TripAdvisor are all great options), selling products (digital downloads, eCourses, eBooks), guest blogging for other bloggers, and sponsored blog posts.
Best Websites to Find Blogging Digital Nomad Jobs: Fiverr, Upwork, Freelancer, ProBlogger, BloggingPro, Freelance Writers Den
FYI: If you feel like blogging is a lot to juggle to reach success, you’re not alone. I felt that way too when I first started. Earning an income you only dreamed of before is not only possible, but it’s right at your fingertips! Since readers are constantly asking me how to monetize their blog, I went ahead and created a FREE course to provide a more detailed guide on blog monetization. Besides, who DOESN’T like FREE things?!
Topics covered in the course:
- How to grow your email list
- How to engage your readers to subscribe to blog updates
- How to make money through CPC advertisements
- How to earn money through offering advertising space on your blog
- How to get paid for leads
I decided to become a full-time nomad in 2020. Prior to that, I had traveled about one-third of the year (both for work and for leisure)… but since my backpacking trip in 2017, I felt the pull 100% of the time. However, I had a house and a home base, which I was financially responsible for. But every time I wasn’t traveling, I felt complacent. I was sick of the same old routine — I craved adventure! The pandemic, of course, just exacerbated these feelings.
Also contributing to my decision was the fact I was in my mid-30s and single, and that I had a remote job that could be done anywhere — so together, both motive AND opportunity! In other words, I wanted to seize the moment instead of putting it off until later, when perhaps I would have more obligations or any other circumstances that could stand in the way. Part of me also wanted to reject the choices I made in the past — all the shopping and the material things I collected — and just live minimally, prioritizing experiences over possessions.
So I hatched a plan: to plug on the home and belongings so I COULD travel and live nomadically — and feel ultimate freedom and lightness.
I sold the house and nearly everything in it, eliminating the mortgage and house-related expenses and freeing up funds to stay in furnished rentals anywhere I wanted to be.
In September 2020, I drove away from the house I just sold, and by October 2021, I had visited my 50th state!
In December 2021, I took things a step farther and quit my remote, work-from-anywhere job to solely focus on travel, to fully enjoy all the places I visit (without being limited by virtual meetings and mentally preoccupied with work), and to grow my blog.
I arrived in Mexico in 2022 and am road-tripping around the country solo with my dog! And I’ve had an incredible few months so far. Now, I’m living on savings and am exploring ways to make a living long-term through my blog, public speaking, and other related opportunities.
My goal really is to inspire and empower others not to follow blindly the expectations of society and the Joneses — but to make choices from their hearts and be true to themselves… their priorities, passions, and purpose. ❤️
My advice to the dreamers out there is this: ignore what other people say is possible or right, and start small in the direction of your dreams. No decision is truly irreversible, there is no perfect timing, and indecision is the greatest risk of all.Julie Rose, blogger, semi-retired digital nomad
Julie Rose’s Social Media
National Average Salary: $30,448
Job Description: Parents, students, and digital nomads are all taking advantage of online tutoring. It’s no question that children being forced to learn from home due to the pandemic shaped how education will be delivered and received moving forward.
Studies have shown that reducing the student-to-educator ratio can drastically improve student grades and test scores.
- Tutoring programs that also use research-based elements end up seeing reading achievement improvement. A British tutoring program revealed an over 4-fold improvement in the normal rate for reading comprehension and an over 3-fold improvement in word recognition. The study was conducted on 2,372 elementary and Jr. High students that were tutored for 8.6 weeks.
- Tutoring can also create positive self-confidence when it comes to reading, reading motivation, and behavior. According to the U.S. Department of Education, “The Partners for Valued Youth employed at-risk middle school students with limited-English-proficiency to tutor low-achieving elementary school students for four hours every week. After participating in the program, tutors had lower dropout and absentee rates and higher self-concept scores than a randomly selected control group. Tutees also experienced improved reading scores, lower absentee rates, and fewer disciplinary referrals.”
Before pursuing online tutoring, it’s very important to determine your specialty. The tutoring platform you choose will likely require you to take pre-requisite tests that you must pass before tutoring students in a certain subject.
When I signed up with Varsitytutors.com, I had to take tests in history, science, English and reading. I passed them all, but in the end, I decided to niche down to English and history since I was the best at those subjects compared to the other two.
You will also want to create a course model that you will use for each student but you likely will adjust it depending on the student’s learning needs. The most common models are the Academy model and the Night-school model.
When signing up for the tutoring website you choose, expect to have a background check completed before you can start working with students.
Best Websites to Find Tutoring Digital Nomad Jobs: Varsity Tutors, Chegg, Tutor.com, Wyzant, Skooli, Specialedtutoring.com
14) Delivery Driver
National Average Salary: $32,003
Job Description: Did you know that one in three Americans get food delivered at least once a week? Did you ALSO know that the number of people who use food delivery apps is scheduled to grow to 53.9 million by 2023?
With the high demand for food deliveries, being a delivery driver is a great opportunity for a digital nomad, but you aren’t strictly limited to just delivering food, as there are some odd-end delivery jobs out there if you look hard enough.
- Instacart– This grocery shopping delivery company partners with over 700 retailers like Aldi, Publix, Stop & Shop, CVS, Total Wine & More, and Target. To become a driver for Instacart, you’ll need to be 18 years or older, eligible to work in the United States, have access to a vehicle and smartphone, pass a background check, and have the ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Roadie –Roadie is a delivery platform where users can request shipping for odd or oversized items, and drivers can accept and complete those jobs by using their vehicle. The company only offers customers one-way deliveries and connects them with drivers who are already heading in the direction of where the package needs to be. According to Roadie’s website, drivers earn $13 per local trip on average and can earn up to $650 for long-distance deliveries.
If you choose to pursue a delivery driver job, expect to have a background check completed before receiving approval.
Through research, I discovered that Instacart makes no exceptions for DWI/DUI convictions that have occurred within the last three years so be mindful of that if you have a record when applying.
Best Websites to Find Delivery Driver Digital Nomad Jobs: Instacart, Roadie, Shipt, DoorDash, GrubHub, Favor, Drizly
15) Airbnb Host
National Average Salary: $62,720
Job Description: If you want to travel the world but don’t necessarily want to sell your home or pay rent on an empty home while you’re gone, why not consider renting the property out through Airbnb when weighing digital nomad jobs?
The first Airbnb I stayed at when starting my digital nomad journey was located in Leedey, Oklahoma. It was a cute 1950s school bus that was converted into an adorable vacation rental property.
The gal who owned the bus also rented out a cabin and bunkhouse right next door. When the host checked in with me through the app after I first arrived, she mentioned that she was also a digital nomad and visiting Arizona at the time.
When I asked her how she managed to travel and keep her Airbnb business running in a different state, she made me realize that it WAS possible even though I didn’t believe it at first.
A few ways my Airbnb host managed to successfully run her business while gone were implementing a self-check-in process, hiring a reliable cleaner, a backup cleaner, and an individual who can perform maintenance in the case that something breaks.
Steps to Start an Airbnb Business:
- If you don’t already have a property then you need to invest in one.
- Prepare your Airbnb
- Establish your price
- List your property on Airbnb’s website
- Host a guest
If you are interested in this digital nomad career path, I have created a free Airbnb host checklist you are free to use by clicking here.
If you’re ready to sign up and create your Airbnb host account to start making some money, use my Airbnb referral sign-up link by clicking here.
Best Websites to Find Airbnb Host Digital Nomad Jobs: Airbnb
16) Trading and Investing
National Average Salary: $59,683
Job Description: When exploring digital nomads, consider becoming a day trader. Day traders follow market trends actively and execute strategies to make money through buying and selling securities like stocks and foreign exchange.
According to Investopedia, the following are several strategies used by day traders.
- Scalping: An attempt to make several little profits on small price changes during the day.
- Range trading: A strategy that leverages support and resistance levels to weigh decisions to buy and sell.
- News-based trading: A strategy that normally seizes trading opportunities from “heightened volatility around news events.”
- High-frequency trading (HFT): A strategy that uses algorithms to “exploit small or short-term market inefficiencies.”
Securities to Consider:
To learn more about becoming a day trader, click here.
Best Websites to Find Day Trading Digital Nomad Jobs: Interactive Brokers, Lightspeed
17) Social Media Manager
National Average Salary: $49,119
Job Description: As of April 2022, there are 7.9 human beings that exist in the world. Of the total world population, 4.62 billion are social media users, a 10% increase from last year. There’s no sign of it slowing down either.
These statistics make this job option when considering digital nomad jobs a huge career opportunity right now for the wanderlust-seekers.
Tasks of a social media manager include scheduling and creating posts, creating content through apps like Canva and Lightroom, creating profiles or giving existing accounts a makeover, responding to other users, growing an account’s following through avenues like target following/unfollowing, researching trends, etc.
One way you can land a social media management job is to build a portfolio of accounts you have managed and provide screenshots of insights. If you are a beginner, providing insights into your own accounts is a good place to start.
Best Websites to Find Social Media Management Digital Nomadd Jobs: Fiverr, Upwork, Guru, Hubstaff Talent, LinkedIn
National Average Salary: $49,102
Job Description: Making money while traveling as a musician doesn’t just stop at touring or performing gigs at bars.
Performers can also make a living from performing tasks like teaching music lessons online, freelance songwriting or producing, or starting a YouTube channel.
When exploring digital nomad jobs and wondering if you could make the musician lifestyle possible, you’d need to invest in a portable studio and learn how to properly record and create a track and music video.
Recommended Products, Software
- Recording Software – GarageBand and Logic Pro are two good recording software options. I use GarageBand just because I’ve been a Mac-lifer and am more familiar considering I have used it since GarageBand first came out in 2004. Logic is another platform that many musicians I have worked with in the past prefer. One important note is that GarageBand is not compatible with Windows and is only available for Mac users. Logic can be used on both but there are pros and cons to both options. Logic’s software isn’t free but you can download a 90-day free trial of the latest version of the software and then there is a one-time payment of $199.99 to have it for life.
- Laptop – I use my MacBook Pro laptop for this for the same reasons I just stated, but also because it’s quick for me to just Airdrop any of the audio or videos I create on my laptop between all of my other Apple devices (iPhone and iPad). Secondly, my MacBook comes with the GarageBand software I mentioned earlier that’s already installed and free to use.
- Video Editing Software – I use iMovie because, again, it’s another app that comes pre-installed already on all of my Apple devices and is free. Similar to GarageBand, this is only a Mac product. Other apps that are good for both Mac and HP users are Splice and Adobe Premiere.
- Microphone – I use the Amazon basics microphone which is budget-friendly and great for beginners.
- Other Equipment – Apple USB-C to USB adapter, condenser kit, Shure sound isolating headphones, Beets Headphones
Best Websites to Find Musician Digital Nomad Jobs: BandMix, AirGigs, Sound Better, Melody Nest, Fiverr, Upwork
19) House Sitter
National Average Salary: $29,099
Job Description: Picture this when thinking about digital nomad jobs: You are sitting in a mansion in Sedona, Arizona, earning money while binging a Netflix series with an adorable Golden Retriever puppy cuddled up next to you.
This could become your reality by traveling to different destinations in the world and house siting for homeowners! Not all house sits will involve watching someone’s estate AND their fur baby, but many do.
It doesn’t just stop at canines either, as some homeowners have reptiles, birds-you name it! Loving pets and having a willingness to watch over others animals just increases your chances of landing a job on housesitting websites.
My advice to those who are traveling with their four-legged counterpart is to be very transparent about bringing a dog to house sit.
Your rating and reputation are everything. It could be the downfall of your house-sitting career if a homeowner gives you a terrible rating and review because you never disclosed having a pet to them.
Even if the website you use to find house-sitting jobs gives you an option to select that you have one, I would suggest still adding it to your Bio so that no one can possibly miss it.
Additionally, even if homeowners don’t offer you money, housesitting is still an amazing opportunity for digital nomads as you can stay somewhere for free while working a remote job.
That saves you money from having to pay for accommodation. It’s all about context, baby.
Best Websites to Find House Sitting Digital Nomad Jobs: Trusted Housesitters, Nomador, Mind My House
20) Marketing Specialist
National Average Salary: $53,201
Job Description: Working in marketing essentially means promoting companies, services, or products and maximizing profits for businesses. When considering digital nomad jobs and leaning toward a career in marketing, consider finding a specialty.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – Strategy used to increase a website’s visibility in online search engines.
- Social Media – Using social media to market or promote products or services utilizing networking, microblogging, bookmarking, social news, media sharing, and online forum sites.
- Email – Using emails to promote products or services with newsletters, acquisition emails, promotional emails, retention emails, or a combination of some or all.
- Voice – using voice-enabled devices like Amazon Alexa, Siri, and Google Assist.
- Brand – a strategy where instead of promoting individual products or services the marketer promotes the entire brand.
- Event – a marketing strategy that uses events like exhibits, fundraisers, trade shows, displays, promotions, etc., to promote a brand.
- Product – The process that goes into bringing a product to market.
If you don’t know what to specialize in, that’s ok! Businesses tend to use multiple strategies they want their marketing specialist to implement to grow their brand.
Just do your research and research what has worked for other marketers before diving into the profession.
A lot has changed over the course of the last two years, but being a digital nomad isn’t a new idea — just a more accessible one. COVID-19 breathed a new breath of life into the idea that work doesn’t have to tie you to a specific desk, office, or even city; often, work is wherever you are.
The idea that I could work anywhere I had my laptop was one of the driving forces behind me leaving the agency world to pursue marketing (both strategy and execution) work as a consultant and contractor.
I wanted the autonomy, as an experienced professional, to determine what environments were best for and most conducive to how I like to work.
Whether that meant going ‘home’ to be with family during times of need or celebration, traveling to new places and settling in for weeks at a time to really experience cultures and lifestyles, or just having the flexibility to say ‘yes’ to opportunities and adventures.
Some days I work best getting an early start to the day and wrapping up when the weather is nicest in the afternoon; sometimes my body is telling me a slow morning with a long walk with my dog is best – so I work in the afternoon and evening. And often, my clients’ availability and meetings tell me – the standard(ish) 9-4 still is tried and true.
But I truly think that for the most part, gone are the days where a lot of jobs MUST be done in a specific place or setting.
To date, I’ve been able to work from all over MN (my home state), many lake cabins, the Black Hills, Florida, Texas, New Mexico, Utah, Arizona, Washington DC, Boston, Nashville, Chicago, New York, and Honduras.
If you’re looking to transition to a #WorkFromAnywhere lifestyle – spend a little time educating yourself and being curious.
Learn what types of jobs are most successful and conducive to your skillset, research asynchronous communication and how it’s shaping the digital workspace, and talk with other digital nomads to learn from their experiences.
It’s not always an overnight transition (though, it can be for some – high five to you), but if you’re patient and put the effort in, you’ll likely find yourself logging in from new heights soon enough.Bridget Deutz, founder & chief marketing strategist at Greenline Marketing
Deutz’s Social Media
21) Social Media Influencer
National Average Salary: $49,614
Job Description: Speaking of marketing, one way that companies choose to market their brand is through social media influencers.
To be an influencer requires promoting brand products and services to your social media followers, in hope that they will purchase whatever you promote.
A common misconception is that to be paid as a social media influencer you have to have thousands upon millions of followers. That isn’t true.
In fact, according to Startupbonsai.com, brands used micro-influencers (influencers with accounts under 100,000 followers) 10 times more than mega-influencers (accounts with over 1 million followers) in 2019. Why? They are receiving better results.
“The reason micro-influencers seem to be delivering better returns for brands is that they’re more frequently seen as subject experts, with laser-targeted followers in any given niche who are very interested in their views,” Startupbonsai.com says. “This is very different from mega-influencers, who most people follow only because of their big-name appeal, rather than a specific interest in their views or content.”
It wasn’t until I hit 5,000 followers that brands started reaching out to me requesting an influencer collaboration.
Bearly Marketing is the first company that initiated a conversation with me through Instagram messages about opportunities in this field.
Bearly is a third party company that connects small businesses or startups that use their marketing services to micro-influencers like myself.
I make $50 per post and this may not seem like a lot of money, but for the size of my following and my entry-level experience, it’s a great option for me to make some easy money on the side and build a portfolio. Which means this could be a great option for you when researching digital nomad jobs.
An unspoken rule in the industry is that influencers should charge 1% of their total following per post.
Best Websites to Find Social Media Influencer Digital Nomad Jobs: Aspire, Upfluence, Bearly Marketing
22) Dog Sitter/Walker
National Average Salary: $27,207
Job Description: Similar to housesitting, you could pursue watching or walking four-footers for the puppy mamas and daddies out there when exploring digital nomad jobs.
If you’re interested in this type of job, it’s likely you have a love for dogs.
It’s not all glitter and unicorns, though. You also have to be willing to get your hands dirty when needed.
Tasks to expect include feeding, making sure water bowls are full, walking dogs, giving them medications, grooming them, picking up their poops, etc.
Dog owners may even request that you complete a few other tasks like bringing in the mail or watering the garden, for example.
- According to a study from the University of Liverpool, approximately 40% of dog owners do not walk their dogs on a regular basis.
- When dogs don’t get enough exercise it can cause behavior issues like chewing, digging, rummaging through the trash, barking, etc. Alternatively, when dogs are tired from exercise which provides mental stimulation they typically behave better.
- Obesity in pets is dangerous. An overweight dog can cause other medical issues like tumors, cardiovascular disease, breathing conditions, arthritis, among others. Not to mention, being obese can shave off two years of a dog’s life.
- The daily walking standard for dogs is 20-30 minutes of exercise.
- Individuals who own dogs are more likely to hit physical activity suggested guidelines.
Don’t those factoids want to make you want to create your pet sitting/walking profile to save Toto?!
The only dog walking platform I have experience with is Rover. I have found some pretty amazing dog sitters through them while traveling.
To get a step by step guide on how to sign up for Rover, click here.
Best Websites to Find Dog Sitting/Walking Digital Nomad Jobs: Rover, PetSitter, Fetch Pet Care, Wag, Care
23) Voice Actor
National Average Salary: $49,146
Job Description: Voice acting is a growing industry and in high demand.
Voice actors take roles in movies, advertisements, radio networks, and voice assist companies like Amazon Alexa, Siri, etc.
In fact, in 2022, voice assistant growth will reach $3.42 billion and audio advertising is predicted to jump up 6.4%, so this isn’t a bad gig when looking at digital nomad jobs.
There is no formal training required to become a successful voice actor, but you will need equipment. Below are some options I suggest.
- Laptop – MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Acer Aspire 5, HP Chromebook, iPad, Asus ZenScreen Touch (you can turn iPad or ZenScreen into a second monitor)
- Software – GarageBand, Logic Pro, Audacity, Adobe Audition
- Microphone – The Audio-Technica AT2020 USB, the Rode NT USB, Amazon Basics
- Other equipment – Microphone Isolation Shield Condenser, Apple USB-C to USB adapter
24) Website Designer
National Average Salary: $63,983
Job Description: If you harbor a creative side, why not consider a job in website design when weighing digital nomad jobs? It’s vital to learn the core of web design like how to create a great user experience and keep internet users on a website to reduce the website owner’s bounce rate.
To be a web designer, it’s a good idea to be well-versed in the following web language, processes, and tools:
- UX – User experience (UX) is the process that designers use to create a product that will provide an awesome user experience. This includes focusing on branding, design, usability, and function of a website.
- HTML – HyperText Markup Language (HTML) is a code used to create a website.
- CSS – Cascade Style Sheets (CSS) is a web design language to describe whether a document is written in HTML or XML. This describes how items should be presented on screen, paper, or other media.
- Webflow – is comparable to a photoshop-type interface where web designers can generate “semantic markup” by using HTML elements onto a canvas, dragging and dropping them then styling them as CSS properties.
- Adobe XD – A tool web designers can leverage to design websites and apps.
- Figma – A design tool that web designers use to build digital products with a team.
- Sketch – A digital design app for Mac users.
- WordPress – A website building platform that provides an easy user-experience to build a website.
- Wix – Similar to WordPress, web designers can use Wix to easily design and create a website.
- SEO – Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is important for web designers to know so that a website design will allow the website to show up in web search results.
According to HubSpot, 32% of small businesses have a mobile app with 42% planning to build one in the future, which means the demand for website designers is high.
This demand will continue on as the digital world shows no signs of stopping.
National Average Salary: $45,808
Job Description: The first video ever was created by Joseph Plateau in 1832. To turn his vision into reality, Plateau counterrotated disks with drawn images on repeat motion on one and regularly spaced slits in the other.
Since Pleateau’s invention, the film industry has grown rapidly. In fact, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, videographer jobs are expected to jump 22% by 2029.
Becoming a videographer doesn’t require a degree, but there are several ways you can become more successful when pursuing this career:
- Invest in a Course – Adobe Premiere Pro CC Video Editing, Fundamentals of DSLR Filmmaking, iPhone filmmaking: From Shoot Through Edit
- Buy Professional Gear: DSLR or Mirrorless Video Camera, Tripod, Camera Light, Microphone, Headphones, Lenses (wide-angle, ND filter, Macro Lens, Versatile kits), Portable Digital Audio Recorder, Drone
- Practice, Practice, Practice! – This one goes without saying, but the more time and practice you invest into your videography business, the better you will become.
Best Websites to Find Videographer Digital Nomad Jobs: Fiverr, Upwork, Freelancer
25 Income-Exploding Digital Nomad Jobs in 2022 Summary
Hopefully, after reading this detailed list you have a better sense of direction when it comes to exploring your options for landing a remote job in 2022.
To recap what we discussed:
- Pin-point what type of remote job you’d be good at.
- Find a niche within your chosen niche to turn yourself into a standout compared to your job-applicant or freelance competitors.
- Apply for a remote job or find freelance clients.
- Ensure you have the correct equipment needed to perform your job duties while on the road.
- Go explore the world!
If you enjoyed this article, do me a solid and subscribe to my blog in the box below for more digital nomad tips and tricks, along with some fun freebies from time to time! Additionally, drop me a comment on this post about what digital nomad job you have or plan to do while living a wanderlust life on the road!
Happy travels :).
Pin This Article on the Best Digital Nomad Jobs:
If you enjoyed this article on the best digital nomad jobs, then here’s another article you might like to read: 15 Safety Devices For Solo Travelers